As beautiful and popular as the Lake District is, even as a local it’s hard to get round and do it all. The Lake District is a historic place full of creative roots and rich heritage. Beth and Steve have wrote a fantastic book, Historic Cumbria: Off the Beaten Track which is all about the hidden gems that tourists (and even locals) forget or don’t know about.
Below, Beth gives us 10 good reasons why you need this book.
“10 Great Reasons to buy our book
Please excuse this interlude for shameless self promotion, but a girls gotta eat and the local shops are lovely but refuse to barter books for a weeks worth of shopping.
1. Because of all of Steve’s fantastic photos. There are over 100 photos in the book and pretty much all of them (apart from the historic ones cos he’s not that old) were taken by Steve. Pics that look a bit like this but are LOADS better because Steve took them (the publishers don’t want us using pics from the book in the blog)
|Name that bit of coastline?|
2. Because of the words – I’m not bigging them up and claiming to be the next Ruskin, but I promise you they are really well researched. On one occasion I spent 2 days tracking down a fact that takes up 2 lines of the book. I’m not saying it’s perfect but I am saying that I tried really, really hard.
|Fantastic support from Mountain Heritage Trust|
3. Because it comes from the heart. We both live in Cumbria and Steve grew up here. Yes we’d like to earn some money from the book but our primary driver is to tell people about this amazing county and share our experiences and some of the stuff we’ve learned along the way. I mean, how can you not love a place that looks like this?
4. Because Sir Chris Flipping* Bonington likes it. We got in touch with him and sent him an early draft and got the loveliest email back telling us how much he enjoyed it and giving us this fabulous sleeve note. (*may not be his real middle name.)
5. Because lots of other people like it too (you are, of course, welcome to buy the book from Amazon, but we make 2 tenths of naff all if you do – if you buy it from us we’ll lovingly hand pack it ourselves.)
I’ll be honest, there’s a 2 star review on there from someone who thought it was smaller and “not as comprehensive” as they were expecting. Fair enough – to help give you an idea of what to expect the book is 96 pages long with 20,000 words and 100 photos and represents 12 months of hard work and research. It’s not a detailed academic text but it covers most of the salient points of the areas we focus on in much the same tone as this blog does.
6. Because it covers the whole county and not just the Lake District fells. We LOVE the fells but wanted to tell a bigger story about Cumbria and encourage folks to visit places they wouldn’t normally consider – like Whitehaven for example. I have a HUGE soft spot for Whitehaven with its fascinating history and breathtaking views.
|The historic harbour at Whitehaven|
7. Because you’ll be supporting a local business if you do. It’s hard work making money from writing – not complaining, I flipping love it – but any and all support we get is most welcome. And if you support us then we can support other local businesses – and not just the chippy and the local pub, honest…
|From Fish-over-Chips in Grange-over-Sands|
8. Because we’ve currently got loads in stock and will whiz one out to you by first class post within moments of receiving your order. We may not be able to offer Amazon Prime style tracked packages, but we are “primed” and ready to despatch your order. (You see what I did there..?)
|Ready to roll!|
9. Because you need it for planning your next visit to Cumbria – we’ve dedicated a lot of blogs and social media time to encouraging folks to keep coming to Cumbria in the wake of the winter storms and this book will help you as you plan your itinerary.
The full chapter list is:
10. Buttermere and Rannerdale
10. Because it’s so easy to buy – just click here to go to the book buying page. You can use your PayPal account if you have one and if you don’t you can pay by debit or credit card – just click on the “buy now” button and follow the instructions on the screen.
If you’ve already bought a copy THANK YOU – we really do appreciate every single ounce of support. And if you’ve yet to place your order, here’s a word from the cat…
|“Just buy the book and no-one gets hurt.”|
Have a great day!”
|Thanks – from me & him.|