In a Nutshell
- Four bathrooms
- Private Garden
- Private parking
- Washing machine
- Open fire
Coombe Cottage is situated in Borrowdale the most beautiful valley in England with stunning paroramic views. The cottage which has been featured in the Sunday Times homes section has been furnished and equipped to a very high standard, and is perfect for groups looking for a characterful cottage in a stunning lakeland location.
We are delighted to add the former Lake District home of film Director Ken Russell and his wife Vivian Russell the well known garden writer and photographer. This landmark Lakeland stone property, featured in Bill Burkett's book on Borrowdale, dates back to the 1860's and has now been the subject of a major refurbishment to provide 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom accommodation in a much sought after location in the Borrowdale Valley with views to Derwentwater.
Borrowdale is arguably the most beautiful valley in England with the mighty Skiddaw presiding over Derwentwater. It has been featured in recent television programmes hosted by David Dimbleby and Griff Rhys Jones and in the series on Wainwright walks. The late Alfred Wainwright himself described Borrowdale as the fairest valley in the Lake District. It is much loved by walkers, climbers and the true Lake District enthusiast due to its dramatic, stunning scenery and is within 3 miles of Keswick with a wealth of local amenities.
Coombes Cottage sits on the roadside at the entrance to the Borrowdale Valley with superb views from each room to the fells and a superb 360 degree panorama around Maiden Moor, Catbells, Derwentwater, Skiddaw, Shepherds Crag and Coomb Fell from the upstairs living room. The Derwent River with its picturesque China Bridge and duckboards leading to the shores of Derwentwater are only a few minute walk from the house. The garden has been designed by Vivian Russell in response to Borrowdale's legendary rainfall. Topiary in box and yew predominates, designed to echo the shapes of the surrounding fells, gives the gardens good all year round colour and is an ideal place to enjoy an evening glass of wine, views to the nearby fells and to admire the birds and local wildlife that visit the garden.
The accommodation is centrally heated and comprises:
- Utility room with washing machine, tumble dryer and WC.
- Breakfast kitchen with wood burning stove. equipped with oven and hob, dishwasher, washer/dryer, microwave and fridge/freezer.
- Master bedroom with views to the lake and en-suite shower room with hand basin and WC.
- Twin bedroom and double bedroom sharing an en-suite shower room with hand basins and WC.
- Conservatory overlooking the garden.
- First floor: Open plan lounge/diner with views to nearby Derwentwater with Skiddaw and Shepherds Crag towering above, patio doors lead to a balcony with view to Coombe Fell, with TV and DVD player.
- Double bedroom with view to Coomb Fell. Bathroom with shower over bath, hand basin and WC.
- All gas, electric and bed linen included
- Cot available, sorry no highchair but your are welcome to bring your own.
- Private parking for 2 cars.
PLEASE NOTEThere is a charge of £10 to hire a cot per week.
Cancellation Protection is available, please ensure this meets your requirements prior to adding to your booking.
Spa Treatments in the comfort of your holiday cottage can be added to your holiday reservation.
To ensure these are available for your holiday, these must be booked and paid in advance.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
To view prices select the no. of nights and then click on your chosen date on the calendar.
We realy enjoyed our time at Coombe Cottage, Me, Geoff and the kids loved stolling through the Borrowdale valley taking in the scenery whilst Gran and Granpa loved sitting in the conservatory which overlooks the beautiful gardens. Thank you for a wonderful stay.
Molly, Geoff and Family