In a Nutshell
- Two bathrooms
- Balcony or Terrace
- Private parking
- Washing machine
Eco friendly accommodation with a private terrace overlooking the fruit garden. Esthers Barn has two bedrooms and comfortably sleeps four people. An ideal base from which to explore the northern Lake District.
Southwaite Green is in an area of peace and tranquillity in the Lorton Vale, almost mid-way between Cockermouth and Lorton both 3 miles away, Keswick is 9 miles to the east. Within a short drive are the less frequented western lakes Crummock Water, Loweswater, Buttermere and Ennerdale, winner of Britains Best View. There is ample walking and cycling opportunities from the door and a wealth of shops and restaurants can be found in both Cockermouth and Keswick.
The properties sit on Paddle Beck giving a peaceful ambience together with 10 acres of grounds including newly planted woodland, wildlife meadow, pond and arboretum. Consequently there is an abundance of wildlife including deer, foxes, red squirrels, badgers and the occasional heron that visits the beck, not forgetting the resident barn owl.
Southwaite Green is a development of four properties that have been constructed in 2007 by the owner, who lives on site, to an extremely high standard. The cottages have an abundance of local timber used by local craftsmen to retain the traditional character and wherever possible used the original timbers from the barn. They have been painstakingly converted using “green design and technologies” with ground and air source heat pumps to power the under floor heating beneath the slate and oak floors. A design feature has been the use of solar panels and the positioning of the windows to generate maximum solar heating to produce the heating and hot water. Great attention to detail has been paid to ensure that these are Eco-friendly properties, including organic bedding and towels, hand made furniture from sustainable sources and they have even gone to the extent of using Eco-friendly paints. The owners have gone to great trouble to ensure the properties have a low ‘carbon foot-print’ and to ensure your holiday is an enjoyable experience.
The development briefly comprises two, 2 bedroom cottages, Skiddaw and Esther’s Barn. Buttermere is a ground floor two bedroom cottage which is specially adapted for disabled use with mobility one and two rating and Beckside a three bedroom, three bathroom house. The properties have been given the much acclaimed Gold Award from the Green Tourism Scheme.
The cottage is ‘upside down style’, has under floor heating throughout and comprises:
- Double bedroom with en-suite shower room with hand basin and WC.
- Twin bedroom with zip and link beds to make a super kingsize with en-suite shower room with hand basin and WC.
- Drying cupboard.
- Private terrace with furniture overlooking the fruit garden.
- First floor: Open plan lounge/kitchen/dining area with, wood burning stove, TV and DVD player.
- Kitchen with electric cooker, dishwasher, fridge/freezer and microwave.
- All electric with ‘A’ rated energy efficient appliances, bed linen and towels included.
- Cot and high chair available.
- Private parking for 1 car with further parking available over the stream.
- A warm welcome awaits you from the owner including a welcome pack with fair trade and local produce together with a wide range of local books, maps, guides and places to visit.
- Shared use of the laundry with washing machine and tumble dryer and badminton / short tennis grass court.
PLEASE NOTE There is a charge of £10 and £5 respectively to hire a cot and highchair per week.
Cancellation Protection is available, please ensure this meets your requirements prior to adding to your booking.
Spa Treatments in the comfort of your holiday cottage can be added to your holiday reservation.
To ensure these are available for your holiday, these must be booked and paid in advance.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
To view prices select the no. of nights and then click on your chosen date on the calendar.