In a Nutshell
- One bathroom
- Private Garden
- Private parking
- Washing machine
- Open fire
- Budget cottage
Gypsy Palace is not only steeped in charming history but it is surrounded by stunning countryside. This romantic, cosy hideaway is a perfect tranquil retreat waiting for you.
This characterful and quirky cottage is situated within the foothills of the Cheviot Hills, and on the border of the Northumberland National Park. It is nestled within the Scottish Borders at the most northerly point of the Pennine Way, within the small village of Kirk Yetholm. This village and the cottage is famous throughout the world as being the Royal residence of both Queen Esther and her son and heir King Charles Faa Blythe, and has been regarded as the home of Scottish Gypsies for over 300 years. The cottage is a fantastic base to explore the Scottish Borders with its dramatic moors and pretty traditional market towns, and not far away from the historic area of Northumberland with its magnificent beaches and various castles to explore and visit. Many walks can be enjoyed straight from the doorstep. The famous Holy Island, the well known old town of Alnwick and the historic town of Berwick upon Tweed are a short drive away. If you want to go further afield Edinburgh is just an hour’s drive away.
The palace has been lovingly restored and refurbished to a really high standard and enjoys many modern day comforts. From the minute you enter the property you can sense the character and history complimented by it’s sumptuous decor and furnishings. The constant reminders of it’s unique and fascinating history makes this property an extremely unusual and romantic place to be.
The oil central heated self catering accommodation comprises:
- Fully fitted kitchen which features wood flooring, granite worktops and the original porcelain ‘Belfast’ sink.
- The kitchen leads to the stone floored utility room which houses the central heating boiler, dishwasher, washer/dryer and fridge – with a stable door leading out to the stone patio area complete with outside furniture.
- Bathroom, which has a traditional 3-piece suite with shower, has been fully tiled with white Greek marble tiles and has an unusual marmoleum floor design.
- Cosy living room with feature wood burner, views from window over looking the surrounding gardens and picturesque countryside.
- There is also a small stone floored dining area which has a most picturesque cast iron arched feature window with diamond panes, dating from the 19th century.
- On the way upstairs to the two bedrooms, you pass another arched window containing a stained glass design commemorating King Charles Faa Blythe’s Coronation Crown and a small patch of tartan glass that captures the beautiful afternoon sun.
- The main bedroom features a wrought iron double bed while the second bedroom (which is accessed from the main bedroom) has a single bed which also houses a second pull-out bed if required. Both bedrooms have the most breathtaking views – south, over the Bowmont Valley and north across to the church, Town Yetholm and the valley beyond.
- The garden is mainly laid to lawn but has the benefit of a Selkirk stone patio area and a cobbled path.
- The Lodge (our small lockable outhouse) is a handy storage area.
- There is off-street parking for one car.At the southwest corner of the garden is the summerhouse; this is actually an old railway station waiting room which was rescued many years ago and lovingly restored. It features a very comfortable curved bench and of course, to follow the theme of the house, there are coloured leaded windows in its door. The views over the valley are wonderful and the atmosphere peaceful, making it a lovely place to read or relax.
- A small dog is more than welcome.
- First basket of logs for the wood burner are included.
- Free Wi-Fi available.
- All electric, oil, bed linen and towels are included.
PLEASE NOTE 1 dog is welcome at a cost of £20 per dog per week. Cancellation Protection is available; please ensure this meets your requirements prior to adding to your booking. Spa Treatments in the comfort of your holiday cottage can be added to your holiday reservation. To ensure these are available for your holiday, these must be booked and paid in advance.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
To view prices select the no. of nights and then click on your chosen date on the calendar.