Show more (9)
- “Just returned from a week break to Cumbria and felt compelled to write a review of the Red stables. On arrival we were greeted with a large bowl of fruit, bread, milk, butter, tea and coffee. Wow what a place to stay, comfortable and homely and with a hot tub, the perfect place to relax after a long day exploring the beautiful local countryside. Our hosts Clare and Ian couldn't have done more to make our stay more pleasurable. Thankyou again! Can't recommend this place enough.”
- “Amazing place! We were all in need of rest and relaxation and that’s exactly what we got. The cottage is first class, warm and toast! The wet room was lovely and the hot tub was fab! Hosts on hand if you needed anything but not intrusive.Would not hesitate to come back.”
- “Top notch! The hot tub really made that extra difference”
- “We stayed in Red Stables for a week and our party was two parents, one 10 year old and one 18 month old. The property was ideal for this kind of family, but would also suit many other groups. We did not have to stress out about the 18 month old, because the property was really child-friendly.
Red Stables is in a very rural location about 15 minutes drive from Carlisle; originally a red brick stables which served the farmhouse behind it. The farm around it is a working livestock farm, mainly with cows, but do not expect that to interfere with your stay in any way whatsoever. Apart from Carlisle, there are many scenic drives to easily complete in a day if you can drag yourselves out of the jacuzzi. The coast is only a half hour drive away, the Hadrian's Wall trail a bit longer and it is easy to visit the northern lakes or take the M6 down and round to Windermere etc.
The conversion was completed in 2012 and gives one a wonderful bespoke space to enjoy that has an amazing amount of privacy, considering the owners are literally in the farmhouse the stables originally served right behind and next to the building. There is no interference from the owners and you are not overlooked when inside the property in any way, although the top to bottom glass front door faces the (hardly used) road and means you might want to grab something to wear when nipping from the downstairs bedroom to the wet-room/toilet next to it.
Obviously, given the fantastic siting of the hot tub with its amazing views it is slightly overlooked, but this is a trivial compromise. The hot tub is really worth paying the surcharge for because it puts the property head and shoulders above its peers in terms of offering something really unique to experience. We used it a lot, even when the sun was not shining.
There is now a lovely raised, decked BBQ area to the side of the hot tub with a table, two benches and a gas BBQ. We used it every day because it was so convenient, even when there was some light rain.
Inside, the accommodation features a spacious kitchen/diner/living area with a high pitched ceiling and two heavy exposed wood beams. The high ceiling makes the room feel really airy, but there is not much extraction near the hob (a small wall extractor fan) if you want to do cooking indoors. There are plenty of pots and pans with cooking accoutrements, knives and plates and cutlery for 6. You will also find a welcome dishwasher, but that and the under counter fridge did not work especially effectively, so do not buy too much food at a time.
The room is furnished with a dining table and 4 chairs (better than those in the pictures), two 2-seater leather sofas and a television and DVD player (with Freeview, no Freesat). We also had a nice, clean high chair which does not have the cushions that tend to get so grubby for our toddler (provided for a nominal charge). There are some family games to play under the telly which were very welcome. The internet router has a variable performance speed, depending on the time of day and I assume how much demand there is in the local area for the limited bandwidth available at any given time (but then you are not coming to a location like this for internet connectivity, are you!). If you like to stream, this is not the place for you, but you can always download before you come or set downloads to run when the internet speeds up.
The rest of the downstairs is made up of a double or twin bedroom (they will set it up how you choose) with enough storage furniture to hang a few clothes and fill some drawers. We had it set up as a double room (king size when the two singles are put together) and chose to use this as our adult bedroom because it is next to the toilet/wet-room. The bed was really comfortable, with a good quality mattress protector.
Upstairs features a large bedroom with some nice features from the original building and again has a pitched ceiling. Again, the bed is really comfortable and is a king size. We had the small toddler, so chose to put the nice clean cot which was provided (on request for a nominal charge) in this room and our other daughter chose to sleep upstairs in this room with her.
Although Lakes Cottage Holidays warn that some of their properties do not come with towels, this one came with 8 (enough to use for the hot tub and the wet-room over the course of our week). On top of this, the owners provide tea, coffee, sugar, milk, a loaf of bread, butter and a bowl of fruit to welcome you which was a lovely and really appreciated touch.
The property looks just as good as the photos show it off and we were not disappointed about anything. The location is fantastic, but obviously there is nothing on your doorstep apart from the wonderful views. We would strongly recommend this property as being something unique and different, and a superb place to get away from it all and relax.
P.S. There can be quite a lot of insect activity after dark, but in the summer the evenings are late enough for this not to be a problem. Just keep the windows and doors closed and they will not be much of a problem.”
- “Perfect place to relax”
- “This cottage has wonderful views across the northern lake district and is a lovely place to relax and unwind. The people who own the property are very kind and provide you which just the right amount of attention. Hot tub gives great views across the northern lake district. We really recommend this as a place to stay when visiting the northern lakes and Hadrian's Wall.”
- “Perfect place to unwind”
- “We stopped at this location for 7 nights in May. We had some hit and miss weather during our stay but nothing put us off making use of the Hot Tub which is only a few steps from the property. The Hot Tub is a brilliant feature and the views were stunning.
The accomodation was very clean and well equipped and the hosts were very welcoming and friendly. The extra touches of bread and milk were fabulous. The heating system is something to behold and the bathroom is just marvellous.
Overall, a great place to stay and would certainly go back.”
- “Perfect relaxing break!”
- “I stayed at Red Stables with three female friends for two nights. We found the accommodation warm and inviting with up to date decor and tasteful furnishings.
We were lucky with the weather and got to sit outside on the patio admiring the beautiful views all weekend. The hot tub was fantastic, warm and clean.
The kitchen was well equipped and the addition of a fruit bowl, bread and milk were a lovely touch. The only thing we found missing was a coffee table from the living area to accommodate our wine and crisps!
All in all, it was a fantastic mini break and we hope to return!”
- “Absolutely perfect!”
- “We had a lovely long weekend. The accommodation was perfect, we were made to feel right at home and the Welcome pack was a lovely personal touch. The hot tub was very relaxing and the views were spectacular! We would thoroughly recommend staying here, can't fault it.”
- “Perfect stay, Can't wait to return !!!”
- “I stayed at the Red stables for a week and we did not want to go home.
The place is so quiet and peaceful.
The converted stable has been beautifully designed with gorgeous bedding and rugs, and with every amenity you possibly need for a self catering rental.
Beautiful touches with lighting outside and on the inside with remote lighting.
We loved the under floor heating ! Which is great when coming in from the Amazing Hot TUB.
We feel like we got such luxury for our money.
We will be returning next year for sure !!!
Do not hesitate to book!”
- “A lovely relaxing house away from it all.”
- “Stayed for 1 week with my husband, 11 year old son and my mum. Owners wer extremely friendly and helpful. We were all impressed by the high standard of fixtures and fittings and tasteful decor in the house. It was extremely clean - obviously great care taken over this. Underfloor heating meant it was very toasty (sometimes a tad too warm!). Hot tub was wonderful - some lovely views as you relax in the bubbles. We took bikes and cycled along the many small local roads - cycled to a nearby nature reserve where stopped off for a coffee and cake. Ate locally one night at the Aikton Arms - good steaks and lovely puddings too. Only 10 minutes drive into Carlisle, which had some good shops, cinema and restaurants.”
View All (2)
- “Fabulous place to stay. Felt home from home. Would definitely return.”