Station Masters House
Bassenthwaite, Cumbria & The Lake District
Show more (8)
- “We had a wonderful time.”
- “We arrived at the Station Masters House in good weather and when we went inside we found it to be very good indeed.
Starting with the kitchen , we found everything that we needed, and the same applied to the room next to the kitchen.
The lounge was very nice indeed but just a small point, not a critisism was that the backs of the three piece suit were too low and made or necks ache.
The Bedrooms and Bathroom were fine.
We would be pleased to visit again and hope to come next year possibly in May.
All the Lake District is wonderful and we have been coming up since 1952 so it is all very familiar to us.
- “Peace & Quiet!”
- “Everything about this holiday was brilliant. The no hassle booking;gaining access to the property and the helpful staff at Cottage Holidays(Carlisle).
The accommodation is spacious and airy. All mod cons... even a dishwasher and a utility room with a washing machine & dryer and somewhere to clean those dirty boots after long walks on the hills.
The area is peaceful with only occasional traffic passing in the night. Wildlife visits the gardens as the sun goes down and in the early morning when the mists are lifting.
A thoroughly enjoyable and comfortable stay. Thank You Cottage Holidays for making it all possible.”
- “fantastic relaxing few days in an ideal location.”
- “The agent was prompt with the key when we arrived to colect it. The property was spotlessly clean throughout with lovely large rooms. There were ample utensils in the kitchen, it was just like home from home. The location was excellent for touring the area and we visited cockermouth, whitehaven, workington and the very beautiful Kesick. Enjoyed everything about our stay and would definatly use this agent again and possibly stay at the cottage next time.”
- “Relaxing but a little tired”
- “We had a fantastic few days at this cottage and it does have everything you could possible need, kitchen utensils, books, magazines, everything you need to cook and keep yourself entertained when not out and about exploring the wonders of the northern Lake District. It is in a lovely area perfect for exploring the quieter areas of the lakes district.
The house whilst nicely proportioned and equipped does suffer a little for being a little tired in places and a has slight signs of damp, but on the whole a great stay away,”
- “spacious and functionnal accomodation”
- “We spent one week in the cottage during summer. The house is very pleasant and bright in all rooms, it is also very well located, just beside a wood and 10 minutes drive from Keswick where there is plenty to do.
What we didn't like was the fact that the a66 passes in front of the house, it was very calm inside the house but we couldn't open the windows or stay in the garden.”
- “comfortable and ideally situated”
- “straight forward picking up and dropping off the keys. all information about house amenities written down in the house.old fashioned but very spacious and comfortable.
location ideal across the road from Bassenthwaite Lake and central for visiting the western lakes.”
- “A very relaxing stay”
- “Really enjoyed the week spent here back in September.
Nice clean cottage, bigger then we expected thought it was just the two of us.
Good location, not far to Cockermouth or Keswick, both have good shops and places to eat out.
It's not 5 star living but it is comfortable, clean and cosy with the fire going - You have to supply your own wood though, and take matches!”
- “Totally relaxing, the most peaceful holiday we've ever had.”
- “Everything was as the brochure said it would be.
We enjoyed the seclusion and although the property is near to a road, traffic was minimal and we hardly noticed.
There is a nature reserve directly opposite...well worth a visit.
The only downside was having to come home.”
Garden / Patio
Take a step back in time, Station Masters House is a detached Cumbrian cottage, full of oldie Worldly charm situated close to the shores of Bassenthwaite Lake, the wood burning stove is great to cuddle up to on a chilly evening after a day exploring.
Station Masters House is located midway between the beautiful market towns of Keswick and Cockermouth, both only six miles away, at the northern tip of Bassenthwaite Lake. The area is ideal for those who enjoy the great outdoors, the recently opened Dubwath Silver Meadow Wetland Reserve is just opposite the house and Peil Wyke Woods and Sale Fell are both within walking distance, along with the many other walking and mountain biking opportunities right from the door means you are able to escape the hustle and bustle of the busier towns whilst enjoying an active holiday.
As the name suggests, this two bedroom detached cottage was once the station masters own home, which has now been converted into a basic yet cosy holiday retreat after the closure of the railway line. Bassenthwaite Lake and the traditional Pheasant Inn, serving excellent food and ale, are both within walking distance and the welcoming wood burning stove is great to cuddle up to after a day on the fells, making this an ideal choice at any time of year.
The accommodation is heated by night storage heaters and comprises:
Spacious lounge with TV and wood burning stove.
Dining room with exposed stone walls and dining furniture.
Kitchen with electric oven and hob, fridge/freezer, dishwasher and microwave.
Utility room ideal for storing outdoor gear with washing machine, tumble dryer and Belfast sink.
Ground floor WC.
First floor Double bedroom with original feature stone wall, magnificent fell views, hand basin a door to jack and Jill bathroom with shower over bath, WC and hand basin,
The bathroom can also be accessed from the hallway.
All electric and bed linen included.
Private parking for two cars.
Cottage style garden to the front of the property,
Over two floors. Two bedrooms: 1 x first floor double and 1 x first floor twin. First floor bathroom with bath with shower over bath, basin and WC. Ground floor kitchen, utility room, WC, lounge with dining room.
Electric oven and hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, tumble dryer, TV, No WiFi
Fuel and power inc. in rent
Bed linen inc. in the rent
Private parking for 2 cars
Pub 5 mins walk.
Keswick 8 miles; Cockermouth 9 miles. An attractive village in the Northern Lakes, Bassenthwaite lies just a short distance to the north east of Bassenthwaite Lake, and retains its traditional rural feel, with a stream flowing gently on the outskirts, whitewashed Lakeland cottages, a pleasant vllage green and a real ale inn full of character! Bassenthwaite Lake itself, while boasting gentler scenery than others in the region, is still one of the most picturesque places in England. Places of interest nearby include Mirehouse, a grand house and gardens on the shores of the Lake with small open-air theatre (reputedly frequented by poets such as Tennyson and Wordsworth), LAke District Wildlife Park, and Dodd Wood. Most of the attractions of the Lake District are within easy reach and the quieter Northern Fells are almost on the doorstep. The nearby towns of Cockermouth and Keswick, both have weekly markets and offer a good range of amenities. The scenery of the Yorkshire Dales is within touring distance, as is the city of Carlisle and Hadrians Wall country.
This property offers the following short breaks: