Show more (12)
- “Second stay, still truly amazing”
- “We've just returned from our second stay as a family at this wonderful place that provides the perfect home from home in this lovely part of England.
Its location is ideal to explore all of Cumbria (including the Lake District) but the Yorkshire Dales are within easy reach too.
The cottage has everything you need. It's well-equipped, spacious, immaculate, beautifully furnished with a kitchen that provides a real heart and warmth to the property.
The views of the surrounding area are both picturesque and relaxing. A nice drink in the evening on the patio, after a day's exploring, with the sunset in the distance provides the perfect backdrop and a real chance to reflect and unwind.
The garden is well kept and gives you a chance to breath it all in and relax. The bird-feeders can be seen from the kitchen and attract a variety of birds including Nuthatch, Dunnock, Sparrow and the resident family of Great Spotted Woodpeckers.
Stephen and Heather are brilliant hosts: you have the peace of mind to know they are about if you should need them for anything but they also leave you in peace to enjoy your stay. It's a perfect balance. The wine, bacon, butter, bread, fresh eggs and a freshly-baked cake are greatly appreciated and really do serve to emphasise just how much Stephen and Heather want to make you feel at home. It's more than a lovely touch. It is very thoughtful, generous and provides the perfect start to your stay there.
Our daily visit from Tiggy the cat was the highlight for our boys and puts the seal on this truly being a home from home (although she's only allowed in the kitchen!)...
This is simply the best place we have stayed in throughout England, Scotland or Wales. It undoubtedly provides the foundation of a perfect family holiday.
Thank you Stephen and Heather, you do an amazing job...we will return as soon as we can...”
- “Glorious Perfection”
- “This idyllic cottage offers a special warmth and charm with so many different view points of the surrounding beautiful countryside. The cottage has many sun traps from which to enjoy the peaceful views and environment. The interior of the property is very well equipped in a luxurious and tasteful manner providing a home from home. The large garden is perfect for adults on the patio and children safely playing. The woodpeckers and friends provide entertainment for the bird lovers. The warm and friendly welcome form the owners Stephen and Heather adds to the relaxed atmosphere this property provides. The homemade cake and wine were a lovely welcome surprise plus the ingredients for a delicious farmhouse breakfast on our first morning. The cottage is ideally situated to suit many different holiday styles whether it be visiting historic sites (Hadrians Wall, Lanercost priory), walking in the hills( Wainewrights Walks) , scenic drives ( Ulswater, Derwent water, Bassenthwaite) or exploring somewhere completely new.”
- “A lovely peaceful cottage”
- “My husband and I have just returned from our third stay at Stockwell Hall Cottage and it still gives us exactly what we want.
The cottage is very clean and well equipt. It’s a comfortable, cosy, spacious property in beautiful peaceful surroundings.
We were welcomed with a bottle of wine, a delicious homemade cake and extra items were left in the kitchen.
Stockwell Hall Cottage really is a wonderful place to use as a base to explore the upper Lakes or just to chill out and relax, watching the birds feeding and enjoying the peace and quiet.
Highly recommended. We love it.”
- “An amazing place to stay”
- “As a family of four with two boys, we have stayed in some lovely
cottages over the years in places such as Scotland and Wales, however this was simply the nicest cottage we have stayed in.
We were kindly welcomed with wine, cake, fresh eggs, bacon, bread and
butter. Heather and Stephen make you feel welcome; they just allow you to get on and enjoy your holiday but you know they are around if you
With its location, just outside the National Park it is nice and quiet
and off the beaten track, but you are close to so many things. Being
about 15 mins away from the M6 gives you plenty of options we visited the Yorkshire Dales, for example. You can also visit the beautiful beach at St Bees which is only about a 40-minute drive away.
But the cottage is the real star: it is beautifully decorated and furnished with everything you could want. The kitchen is amazing, spacious and with lovely French-windows leading to the patio. We watched birds of all kinds demolish the food provided including a family of Great spotted woodpeckers. We also enjoyed a daily visit from the cat called 'Tiggy'.
Beyond the patio is a huge garden which Stephen and Heather are only
too happy to let you use, so many games of cricket were played (when
the weather permitted).
Although we did not enjoy the best of weather during our stay (let’s
just say it was changeable!), we enjoyed some beautiful sunsets
which were always accompanied by a chorus from the
swallows, robins, sheep, and the occasional crow; all joined by the
sound of a pony eating grass! These sunsets could be enjoyed from the
gate next to the drive or the small balcony from the living room on
the first floor. Either way, it was a perfect way to unwind.
Would recommend this cottage to anybody. The cottage rules on the wall at the top of the stairs inspired us and helped us to enjoy a wonderful family holiday.
Thank you, Heather and Stephen (and Tiggy!), we will be back, but it can’t come soon enough…”
- “This is an outstanding cottage. A beautiful location on a small-holding, a superb interior and layout and really friendly owners who couldn't do enough for us. Lots of brilliant finishing touches including being met with a freshly baked cake that was out of this world. A really chilled out stay in a superior cottage with the most amazing views. We will definitely be back. Highly recommend.”
- “Absolutely brilliant”
- “This was our second stay at Stockwell Hall Cottage and we are pleased to say that nothing has changed. This is a wonderful, comfortable, cosy cottage. It's a perfect base to explore the upper Lakes and a lovely, peaceful, rural location to return to after a day out. The welcome pack and treats left for us by Stephen and Heather were very much appreciated, really thoughtful. The cottage itself was spacious, really clean and tidy and had all the facilities you would need. We really enjoyed our stay here and certainly intend to return. The title of this review sums it up in a nutshell, it's absolutely brilliant.”
- “Beautiful, well appointed cottage”
- “I stayed here with my husband and 2 other couples in June 2016. We had the upstairs bedroom which was lovely and the bed was very comfortable. There was plenty of storage for our clothes. We used the up stash Ower room. The shower was great and the cubicle nice and large with pure white sealant. Very nice.
Our friends bedrooms were lovely too.
The kitchen was very well equipped and had a washer dryer and dishwasher.
Everywhere was clean and smelt nice.
Outside there were sheep, which was lovely when you opened the windows to the sound of Baaaaaaaa! The views were wonderful!
The owners were very helpful and left us a superb welcome pack.
Would go there again anytime!”
- “Literally the best holiday cottage ever”
- “I visited the cottage with four friends for a relaxing break and to experience the countryside. Upon arrival, we were blown away with how beautiful and homely the cottage was, the pictures really do not do it justice. The owners had clearly gone above and beyond to make guests feel at home and welcome. We were also met with fresh flowers, a bottle of wine, home made cake, bacon, bread, eggs... It was an unexpected touch that truly added to our initial encounter. The house was clean, beautifully decorated and fully stocked with towels, linen and toiletries etc. There was also a generous selection of dvds, cds and board games to keep us all entertained. We felt very cosy and comfortable. The garden and grounds were equally impressive. Many of the area's sights, such as the various lakes, walks or villages, are only a short drive away. There is also a large tesco in Carlisle, which is a 30 minute drive away. My only regret is that we didn't stay longer. We are from the south coast, so spent much of our days exploring the surrounding areas. We are already planning a return and will definitely book more time to spend at the cottage itself. Thank you for a truly wonderful experience. We hope to see you soon!”
- “Absolute Perfection!”
- “This is truly by far the best holiday cottage I have ever stayed in! As soon as we arrived we were made to feel extremely welcome and all the little extras, such as the milk, bacon, bread, wine and cake left for us were a lovely and very useful touch. The décor is amazing, all Laura Ashley furnishings and every little thing has been thought out wonderfully. The cottage is set in beautiful, peaceful farmland where the children thought the highlight of the holiday was feeding the horses and chickens!
We really didn't want to leave and will definitely be back very soon! Thank you very much Heather and Stephen, you should be very proud of your beautiful cottage!”
- “An absolutely fantastic cottage”
- “My husband and I have just stayed at Stockwell Hall Cottage for a week and we can definitely say it’s one of the best places we have ever stayed at.
The property is spacious, clean, warm, comfortable and most of all it is a very peaceful and relaxing place to stay.
There were several items left as a welcome pack, including a very tasty homemade cake and bottle of wine. Very thoughtful and nice welcome to the property.
The garden is a lovely place to relax in, it was a pleasure to return to after a day out. The kitchen and dining area are very spacious and the lounge upstairs is a warm and cosy place to retreat to in the evenings. The cottage has everything you could possibly want.
The location is perfect. Just off the beaten track to be away from the masses but within easy distance to explore locally or in the nearby villages.
We can’t emphasize how much we loved this place and the very friendly owners, Stephen & Heather made us feel extremely welcome.
The only thing we need to do now is plan when we next intend to return.”
- “A Little Bit Of Heaven On Earth”
- “We have just returned from a weeks holiday in the Lake Dsirtct staying at the beautiful Seockwell Hall. This holiday home is a dream, from the furnishings to the location and everything in between.
We were welcomed with a lovely homemade cake and bottle of wine and some welcomed provisions to help us get our holiday started. The kitchen had everything needed and was spacious with a large dining table and led off into the beautifully tended gardens.
It was lovely to sit upstairs in the sitting room area and look over the fields and watch the antics of the sheep and the ponies playing in the meadows. We stayed at Stockwell Hall on our own but we plan to go back again with our grown up children, as it is a great place for a family.
The cottage is on the edge of the Lake District so a car is essential if you want to visit the lakes, but there are some lovely walking areas nearby and I would recommend a visit to Caldbeck which is a delightful little village a few miles away. Also a visit to Mae's Tea Rooms at Uldale is worth a visit, try the bacon rolls if you dare!!!!
There was only one negative of our stay at Stockwell Hall and that was...... we had to leave but the good news is...we endeavour to return.”
- “Lovely cosy cottage on the edge of the Lake District”
- “We had a lovely weekend here in September, the cottage was well equipped, lovely and clean with sumptuous bedding, ample towels and close to many local attractions. The garden was great for my two year old to play in and he loved the ponies, chickens and ducks on the farm too.”
View All (2)
- “The cottage was very clean and contained everything we needed to make it a home from home. The owners gave us a very warm welcome and left some treats to help us settle in. The cottage is in a good location for touring the lakes and the lower end of Scotland. Would definitely recommend.”