The Old Post Office
Dacre near Ullswater, Cumbria & The Lake District
Show more (5)
- “This cottage was amazing for myself and my two girls, location is perfect for Ullswater, Penrith and Pooley Bridge. The only small negative is the broadband speeds have yet to get above snail pace but good enough for emails. Every amenity was available, comfortable beds (3 doubles), lovely bathroom (good shower) great kitchen. Will definitely return, highly recommended.”
- “Lovely Little Cottage!”
- “We booked last minute and were not disappointed. This sweet, old cottage is extremely comfortable and has every amenity you need.
There are three double rooms (we only used two of them) and one bathroom with a good shower in the bath.
The cottage was spotlessly clean and looked newly decorated.
There is parking to the back of the property and a lovely garden which is a real sun trap with views of the distant hills.
The pub in the village is good for a meal and there are plenty of walks from this village.
The only small issue we had was identifying the cottage. It actually has a plague on it saying ‘2 Rose Cottages’ and not The Old Post Office.
Excellent value all round and we will book again!”
- “Great little cottage for a quiet break”
- “Too class, well furnished and appointed traditional cottage in a lovely village location. Everything one might need for a quiet and relaxing break. Very quiet village location,but within driving distance of all amenities. I would recommend this property to anyone looking to get away from it all.”
- “Stunning house with high quality bedding and appliances, very well kept. Beautiful garden. Remote location but very homely. Definitely need a car to get about from Dacre. Some nice walks and interesting church nearby.”
- “What a find!”
- “We recently spent a long weekend at this beautiful little cottage in the quiet village of Dacre. It is full of original charm but with all modern comforts and has been furnished to a very high standard. It is one of the nicest holiday cottages that we have stayed in. There are lovely walks from the door and Pooley Bridge is just a few minutes' drive away. Another big plus for us is that it is 'dog free' in a part of the country where it is sometimes difficult to find accommodation that doesn't accept dogs.
There is a lovely garden at the rear but it was too cold to sit out at this time of year. However, I am sure we will return soon.”
View All (2)
- “Relaxed homely cottage.
Perfect for quiet chilling”
Off road parking
Garden / Patio
Pub/shop < 1 mile
Broadband / WiFi
The Old Post office is a delightful Cumbrian cottage situated in the pretty Lakeland village of Dacre close to Ullswater, Keswick and Penrith an ideal base from which to explore, walk, cycle or simply relax.
As the name suggests, this charming 18th century cottage was once the village post office situated in the centre of the village of Dacre which is only two miles from the shores of Lake Ullswater and within a fifteen minute drive of both Penrith and the vibrant market town of Keswick. The village has its own castle, traditional lakeland pub, a pretty church and a pathway to Dalemain House. Lake Ullswater with its steamers and water sports is close by as is the dramatic Aira Force waterfalls, the traditional village of Pooley Bridge is just over a mile away with pubs, cafe, restaurant and shops.
The Old Post Office has been sympathetically converted retaining many original features and now provides modern day living tastefully combined with traditional features including beamed lounge and wood burning stove. Surrounded by beautiful countryside this Lake District holiday cottage also has an abundance of walks directly from the door and is the perfect retreat for a holiday at any time of the year.
The cottage has gas central heating and comprises:
Lounge/ diner with characterful beams, wood burning stove,TV, DVD player and a selection of books, maps, DVDs and games
Breakfast kitchen with electric double oven with microwave, induction hob, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer.
First floor: Master double bedroom with brass bed and co-ordinated linens.
Double bedroom with oak furnishings.
Double bedroom overlooking the garden.
Bathroom with shower over bath, hand basin and WC.
All gas, electric, initial supply of logs, bed linen and towels included.
Cot and highchair available.
Private parking for 2 cars.
Outside South westerly facing lawned garden with patio and garden furniture.
Across 2 floors. Three bedrooms: 1 x master; 2 x double. Bathroom with bath, shower over, basin and WC. Kitchen. Lounge and dining area. Off road parking suitable for 2 cars. Outside seating area on patio.
Gas central heating and wood burning stove
Electric double oven with induction hob, microwave, fridge/freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble dryer, TV and DVD player, WiFi, books, games
Initial supply of logs provided
Gas and electric included
Bed linen and towels included
Travel Cot and high chair available on request
Off road parking for 2 cars.Garden with patio and furniture
Sorry no pets and no smoking
Pub 1 minute walk away
Note: Max 4 adults.
Ullswater 2 miles; Penrith 5 miles. Dacre is a small, quiet village that sits within the Lake District National Park, set amongst rolling Cumbrian countryside. The village offers a pub serving food, with shops available 5 miles away in Penrith. St Andrew’s, the parish church in Dacre, has occupied the site for over 1,000 years and has an ancient cross, which is believed to be pre-Viking. The village also has a castle, which has recently been restored and is now a private residence. Dalemain, an historic house and gardens, is also close by and every year hosts the World’s Original Marmalade Awards. With Ullswater also on the doorstep, and magnificent scenery to be enjoyed down towards Glenridding and Patterdale, which travels southwards towards Ambleside over the Kirkstone Pass, Dacre makes a wonderful base for making the most of this spectacular region.
This property offers the following short breaks:
- Last minute