“Fabulous cottage in a perfect location.”
Just a couple of observations from us (not complaints but we feel they would improve the overall experience of Poppy's Cottage). This was the most expensive cottage we have ever rented in the Lake District so it needs to present itself accordingly please:-
1. Towels - larger bath towels (sheets) would be lovely - the bath towels supplied only just cover the bare necessities so functional but not luxury. I was at fear of exposing myself to my brother-in-law which would have been a pretty scary experience for him :).
2. Kitchen towel (only 1?) and tea towels (2). We like to cook at home when we are away so could have done with a few more towels and tea towels.
3. Very disappointed to have to buy washing tablets and fabric conditioner (none supplied), washing up liquid, toilet cleaner, etc. There were a few dishwasher tablets but we are used to having these items provided and only topping them up if needs be. We are also used to leaving behind anything that we have bought for the next visitor. We took everything that we had purchased home with us on this occasion. It gave the impression that the cottage was all about show and not about providing the ultimate cottage experience.
4. The second bedroom makes use of a storage cupboard on the landing as there is absolutely no space for anything in the room. This in itself is not a huge problem (the photos are deceptive on the size of the room to be honest), however, a light in the cupboard would have been helpful as my sister spent ages with a torch in the cupboard looking for her clothes!!
5. The sofas are not comfortable - after a long day climbing Helvellyn, etc, when you do decide to stay in for an evening it would be have been nice to have comfortable sofas (minimally footstools provided). There were 4 of us so we were somewhat perched which wasn't great.
6. The outside 'laundry/drying' room was a god send - perfect for all of our walking equipment and great to have a heater in there to dry out the wet clothing.
7. TV services were excellent - great to have internet TV with iPlayer, Netflix, etc.
Overall, I would give this cottage 9/10 - if the owner just went a little bit further it could so easily be a 10 and we would definitely be back!