Show more (12)
- “Great Thanksgiving”
- “We had six adults and the apartment was very spacious and comfortable. Great village location with amazing pastoral views from all windows. So relaxing we did not want to leave. Great quintessential English country village. Looking forward to our next visit.”
- “30th Birthday Celebration”
- “Rented Geltsdale from 18th to 21st June 2016 for party of 7 to celebrate daughter's 30th birthday having lived for 5 very happy years in the beautiful village of Wetheral during the 1980s.
Rental area is the East Wing of a very large and extremely attractive and impressive country house set in several acres within the heart of the village and only 10 mins from Carlisle City Centre. Property is tastefully furnished and equiped to an extremely high standard with exquisite views over the properties extensive manicured gardens and the surrounding countryside.
Guests are provided with a free Visitors Membership Pass to the nearby Crown Hotel Spa and Leisure facilities (10 min walk) which are a welcome indoor option if weather is poor. Rental owners, David and Julia Hogarth are resident in the main property and are on hand and always happy to deal with any problems or requests.
Located just off Junction 43 of the M6 and 3 or 4 minutes from the A69 Hexham/Newcastle Road, the property is ideally situated for exploring the Lake District or Nothhumbria and Hadrian's Wall.
Within a few minutes walking distance visitors can access the Village Green with a shop, Post Office, Railway Station (Carlisle/Newcastle) and local Bus sevices. and a choice of 3 pubs - all serving a high standard of food.(Fantails Restaurant is a converted Farm property providing excellent food in a great environmeant - exposed timbers, stone walls, several working fireplaces, views over Village Green, and largely lit by candles).
An excellent quality property in a beautiful, relaxing rural environment - but with easy access to all the attractions and amenities of the Lakes District, Eden Valley and Northumbria.
We had a marvelous time and will definately use Geltsdale and othe Lakes Cottages properties again in the future.”
- “Three Generation Wedding Party”
- “Excellent accommodation with lovely views and regular visits from the deer. Ideal set up for 3 generations to enjoy a wedding reception at Warwick Hall. Recommend Wheatsheaf Inn in the village for good food and very friendly staff.”
- “High quality flat in a lovely location”
- “This is a fantastic property forming the upper East Wing of a large country house. The accommodation and fittings are very hight standard and it is both warm and comfortable and fully equipped. Our kids loved the pirate themed room. There are great views with lots of wildlife including deer and peasants. There is good wifi. Access to the leisure club in the village is a great bonus for swimming in the warm pool with the kids. We found numerous walks locally and most encountered a great county pub. The Wheatsheaf is by far the cosiest and with a good local atmosphere. Do walk over the Viaduct, to the caves and to Warick on Eden. We could not fault this property.”
- “Superbly appointed accommodation”
- “We travelled as extended family at Christmas. We were delighted by the quality accommodation at Geltsdale. Top notch quality throughout, from beds and linens to the fantastically stocked kitchen and utility room.
To our delight, the Christmas decorations were up and tastefully decorated. The views from the apartment were stunning and the presence of deer on Christmas morning was a delight.
The location of the property was great, close to amenities and easy travelling distance to Carlisle.
The only negative is that my elderly parents who suffer with arthritis struggled with the 2 flights of stone stairs to reach the front door.”
- “Beautiful apartment in lovely grounds”
- “Extremely comfortable and well appointed apartment, decorated and equipped to high standard. All rooms en suite. Beautiful grounds surrounding house. Owners helpful yet unobtrusive. Lovely part of the country close to Lake District and Hadrian's Wall. Highly recommended.”
- “Truly amazing ! First class residence, stunning location.”
- “From arriving on the driveway our dreams came the property full justice.
Trip advisor reviews are all spot on.
The owners were very courteous and made a point of greeting us.
The facilities inside were excellent and as described.
Views from the bedrooms are stunning. We had a weeks holiday to remember, the locals were all very friendly and the bonus of having access to the local hotels health club just topped everything off.
We could not have found a better location to use as a base.
With easy access to the lakes, or over the border into Scotland or the beautiful
We definately will make a return visit and are already advising family & friends.”
- “Delightful stay.”
- “Quiet, peaceful, lovely views and setting. Quite likely the most comfortable, pleasant and well set-up self-catering accomodation we've experienced in many years. So nice to come come "home" to at the end of a day of sight-seeing or walking.
Many thanks to the owners for making it available.”
- “Fabulous property, lovely grounds and some terrific walking country”
- “Stayed here in March and got to enjoy the snow fall, didn't stop us going out walking. As for the property it is such a well laid out place. A very cosy sitting room, very spacious kitchen and dining room and all of the bedrooms were well appointed. The main bedroom which we used had a lovely en-suite and a very comfortable mattress.
If you're coming to stay here then pack your walking boots and get ready to enjoy some wonderful countryside, there are plenty of guide books in the property to give you plenty of options of where to go walking.”
- “this is our second stay at geltsdale and this experience was just as good if not better than the first.The owners are excellent the property is just out of this world as a chill out experience the fact you can use the leisure facilities at the crown only add to the experience. I would recommend this property to anybody looking for a relaxed and chilled holiday(where else do you eat breakfeast while watching deer graze outside your window).I know we will be back tomorrow if I could.”
- “Relaxing weekend in very comfortable accommodation in beautiful”
- “We were 3 couples meeting up for annual Lakes get together, and wanting to try a different area. We wanted 3 en suite bedrooms in a high quality property and found your website very easy to search for this. It was easy to book and the owners were very accommodating. We loved the comfortable accommodation and the very impressive location. It was ideal for us. We were able to enjoy walks from the property without having to take the car. Using the facilities at the Crown Hotel was an added bonus which we enjoyed very much. We were disappointed we couldnt stay longer and hope to return there again.”
- “Beautiful Location”
- “The location of this property is absolutely stunning. The building itself is beautiful.
There is a small seating area at the door of East Wing which overlooks the parking area. Unfortunately there is not a formal seating area overlapping the stunning grounds and that would be a wonderful addition. There are a couple of picnic tables on the grass but that isn't quite the same. There is a lovely seating area but we believed it was for the Garden Apartment.
Inside the property there is quite a staircase to the landing, the landing itself is very nicely presented, but the staircase is rather austere with a very dated handrail. some softening of this area would have a big impact.
Inside the apartment it is quite wonderful. The kitchen is a good size, with dining area. it is well stocked with plates, cutlery, mugs and cooking dishes. A couple of bigger pans would be helpful, there were only four of us so the pans were fine in size but we love to cook and if there had been 8 of us we would really would have had to buy pans. There is a lovely dining table and very good solid chairs. It would be cramped in that room with 8 people though with the table pulled out to seat everyone. The fridge is small, but there is a fridge freezer in the utility room. Unfortunately that is also small. If I had been cooking for 8 people for a week that would have been a real struggle, and we love to cook even on holiday.
I loved having a dishwasher for the time, as we don't have one at home it was a treat!
The living room is very comfy and has extra touches like binoculars to see the deer! It is a shame that it doesn't have the big windows overlooking the splendid grounds though.
The bedrooms are extremely comfortable, spacious and have lovely thick, quality bedding and towels, the lovely toiletries to be used. The bathroom in the master bedroom is very dark, too dark to shave and the bathroom door does not shut which is not ideal.
The grounds are beautiful, but sadly are very restricted with 'private' signs stopping us. It left us very unsure where we could walk and where we couldn't, even with the description in the visitors folder. However the views over the garden are beautiful.
Overall it is an absolutely wonderful property in a magnificent setting. The owner is also extremely pleasant and helpful. With a few touches it would certainly get the full five stars from us.”
View All (4)
- “It was a great place to stay. We were able to watch deer, rabbits & pheasants from the windows and also to take walks around the grounds & village. The apartment is well set up and decorated & we were very comfortable. The only thing I would emphasise is that there are two flights of stone steps to reach the apartment’s door so make sure all are able to climb them. There’s no lift as it’s a very old house. Beautiful place and no problems with any of the facilities. Thanks”