Longtown, Cumbria & The Lake District
Show more (7)
- “WOW! Just perfect from start to finish, book it now!!”
- “Where do I start,
Greeted by Danielle and Trevor in the most friendly manor, they showed us about the grounds and introduced us to the new ventures they were planning (looked amazing) - they then explained that the huuuuge garden area, decking area and hot tub was all ours privately during our stay!
The Snug itself is just amazing, we arrived to a freshly baked homemade cake and a chilled bottle of wine in the fridge for us! Was such a perfect anniversary weekend and Danielle and Trevor could not have been more accommodating. Advised us of where to go round about - pubs, restaurants, things to do etc.
Hot Dub and garden area are exquisite - I was very impressed!
Overall the most amazing, incredible place to go and stay. Will definitely be back!
- “Relaxing is its middle name”
- “Had a wonderful relaxing 3 night stay at the Snug. The hot tub was superb (even in the rainfall) perfect location as we wanted to cycle around Kielder Water in Northumberland and its only a 45 minute drive away! Not far from Gretna Retail Outlet, which is also worth a visit.”
- “Weekend break”
- “We had the most wonderful weekend. We arrived Friday afternoon and we couldn't believe how welcome we felt . We were shown to the shepherd's hut and told how things work etc and then left to our own devices.
They had bought us a bottle of fizz and some beautiful biscuits which went down a treat.
The hottub was idyllic .it's all sat in very pretty and very private area.
It's worth the money and all ready I am wanting to book and go back.”
- “Excellent, just what we needed”
- “If this place is available as you read this, book it, book it now: I can wait.
We stayed here for 5 nights in March as part of our 'we've actually managed to get some NHS leave together, what shall we do' holiday. We picked it because of the hot tub, location and likely lack of the modern world (in a good way).
The hosts are welcome and friendly, but not intrusive.
The converted shepherds hut was fabulous. It was warm (underfloor heating) and well insulated so not drafty at night. The wetroom actually worked as opposed to showering whilst sat on the loo: it efficient with space and had a more powerful shower than some hotels I've stayed in. The small kitchen was ideal for breakfasts and could probably be used for basic meals, though we didn't. The bed was very comfortable and we slept brilliantly. Plus power sockets! At least four: again more than most hotels I've been in. The small wood burner was brilliant: possibly too good as with the heating it was stiffling: we reduced the heating and fuel level the second time!
Outside is a small garden with deck overlooking the brook (read near ravine) and a hot tub (fully function: great after a day walking!) This is all screened from the outside world by hedges.
We loved the lack of mobile signal/wifi as it allowed wind down time at the end of the day: and was part of the reason we picked it.
We used the snug for trips to Hadrian's wall, Carlisle and the lakes where we mainly walked and the snug allowed us the ideal stay. Apparently the 5 nights we stayed is the record: but it didn't feel too long.
So if your still here reading this: book it you wont regret it!”
- “Had a lovely weekend away with my daughter in The Snug. Refreshing to spend some quality time away from phones/internet/social media. Trevor, Danielle and the dogs are very welcoming and nothing is to much trouble. Beautiful scenery, beautiful accommodation & we will definitely be returning.”
- “amazing place”
- “had a fantastic 2 nights hot tub fantastic location fantastic a great place to get away from it all- Danielle and Trevor very welcoming and everything you need is in the Snug- can't wait to revisit - thank you”
- “Had an amazing 2 nights here as the 1st occupants.The hosts, Trevor and Dannielle can't do enough for you but respect your space at the same time. There was a bottle of fizz cooled and waiting along with other little extras that added a lovely touch as it was a 20th Anniversary treat ! The hot tub is a must whatever the weather. Breakfast was enjoyed on the decking overlooking the Gorge as was the fizz at night when it was all lit up. As we were the first visitors unfortunately the fire pit wasn't in place however an extra night in the hot tub was our compensation and that was fine by us, besides its a good reason to have to return. I cannot recommend 'The Snug' highly enough a definite MUST book.”
- “Absolutely amazing place to stay. Every little detail had been carefully thought out and this really was a place of complete tranquility”
Off road parking
Garden / Patio
The Snug is a bespoke shepherd's hut, providing unique accommodation that has everything you would need and more, creating a luxurious romantic retreat, allowing you to get away from it all and relax. Whether you want to soak in the hot tub which over looks Carwinley Beck or use The Snug as a base from which to explore the surrounding area, it is sure to be an unforgettable romantic getaway.
Longtown is on the English/Scottish border in an area steeped in history, 6 miles from the world famous Gretna Green, 10 miles from Carlisle, close to Hadrian's Wall and the Lake District. There are many walking and cycling routes on the doorstep, through lanes and open countryside and alongside the River Esk famous for its salmon fishing.
The Snug provides luxurious accommodation for those seeking something different. Enjoy the tranquil setting at this romantic retreat with your loved one whilst taking in the views over nearby countryside and fells. The Snug is bespoke and furnished to a very high standard creating a stylish warm and cosy atmosphere. Set in 3.5 acres of grounds which include a stream and mill pond, landscaping ensures privacy for guests. The dark skies are perfect for stargazing.
The Snug contains
Open plan living area with wood burning stove and underfloor heating
Kitchen area with silent fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, portable induction hob, Belfast sink with oak cover and open shelving.
Fitted double bed with storage drawers, recessed TV with built in DVD player in bedroom area.
Wet room with shower, WC and wash basin.
Wooden window shutters and stable door.
The outside area includes a private screened area running alongside Carwinley Beck, hot tub, seating area, fire pit (toasting forks and marshmallows are provided) and outdoor cold shower.
Guests have full access to the grounds.
Parking area available.
All electric, gas, towels and bedding are provided.
Complimentary tea/coffee/sugar/milk/fresh bread. Logs are provided.
All one level. Open plan living/dining/kitchen/sleeping area with double bed. Wet room with shower, basin and WC.
Underfloor heating with wood burning stove
Fridge, microwave, toaster, kettle, portable induction hob, Belfast sink, TV with DVD, Electricity, gas and welcome pack including logs
Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
Private screened area beside Carwinley Beck, hot tub, seating area, fire pit (toasting forks and marshmallows provided), outdoor cold shower
Use of grounds
Sorry, no pets and no smoking
Shop, restaurant and pub 5 mins drive
River and countryside walks and cycling trails in the local area
Gretna Green 7.7 miles; Carlisle 8.5 miles; Brampton 11 miles; Dumfries 27.5 miles A delightful, well-stocked town in northern Cumbria that runs alongside the River Esk. Longtown is a fantastic base for a holiday as it comes in the centre of four Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, including Solway Coast AONB, the Northumberland National Park, North Pennines AONB and the Lake District National Park.The local area offers a pleasant range of shops, pubs and restaurants for you to choose from. There are some beautiful places nearby, offering even more places to go and things to do. Brampton and Carlisle are nearby with beautiful buildings. As Longtown is so close to Scotland, it would be rude not to visit Dumfries and Galloway. Edinburgh and Glasgow are just over an hours drive away.
This property offers the following short breaks:
- Last minute