Show more (12)
- “Excellent find”
- “We have just returned after spending a fantastic week at Scales cottage. The owners are within easy reach if you need them and welcoming and friendly.
We arrived with our two dogs and there are handy walks nearby if you don't want a drive out.
Superb cottage which is very well equipped with plenty of parking room.
We went for a relaxing break and would highly recommend a stay here.
The weather was fantastic all week, and we only put the heating on once when we arrived and the cottage soon got lovely and warm, we didn't need it on for the rest of the week with the superb weather.
Handy utility room equipped with washer and dryer and great to store dirty walking boots.
Can't wait already till we can return.”
- “Just perfect!!!”
- “Stayed at one of the cottages for a weekend, as our friends were getting married locally.
We looked inside 3 of the cottages ( as other friends were staying in them also) and all of them were simply perfect!
They all had a king size 4 poster bed we're very clean, and extremely spacious.
The people who owned the cottages were so friendly and helpful.
Our room had wonderful views and was so relaxing.
A lovely little hamper basket was left in our cottage for when we arrived, such a lovely thing to do. Thank you!
We will definitely be returning to these beautiful cottages.”
- “Beautiful holiday cottage.”
- “We shared the cottage as a family of 6 adults and two dogs. The cottage is fantastic as a family home and base. It's easy to get to Keswick and other areas. Plenty of room in the cottage, the small bedroom which is stated as only suitable for children will be ok for two adults as long as your friendly and adaptable!! The owners are really wonderful people and will help with any matters arising. I was able to leave my mirror dinghy and Canadian canoe in the parking area and we could still get 3 cars in. The trout lakes are worth a go and supper is quite easy to catch (you will have to pay for the fish). Can't fault this place as a family holiday venue but make sure you take some insect repellant as it will be needed.”
- “Welcoming, Friendly, Picturesque, Well Situated”
- “I hired the cottage to spend a week with our young children (5 & 9), my husband and his parents. We had such a lovely time.
My children were fascinated by the farm, the animals and the fishing lake and the farmers and their families couldn't have made us feel more welcome. They showed us around the milking parlour, answered a million questions and even protected the kids from the inevitable outcome when you stand below the wrong end of a cow!! All with good humour and lots of patience. My son developed an obsession with fishing which I was happy to encourage because the view from the fishing ponds is just lovely.
The cottage itself is very nice, clean, very well equipped and finished to a high standard. It really does have all the amenities of a home rather than a rental cottage.
It is ideally located for loads and loads of great days out with kids. We "Went Ape" at Grizedale, had a lovely walk around Buttermere, searched for the Gruffalo at Whinlatter, were gently educated in conservation at The Lake District Wildlife Park and surprised ourselves with how great the Pencil Museum is!
We finished nearly every day with a stroll down to the fishing ponds, half an hour catch with the best farm dogs ever and a happy evening around the kitchen table with a glass of wine and a bottle of whisky.
I'm so glad I chose Scales Cottage for our yearly visit back to England, I was not disappointed and would highly recommend it to other families”
- “Out standing and will be returning”
- “I would like to start by saying please ignore any negative comments surrounding this cottage .
We hired the cottage for a full week for four adults and three dogs. When we arrived we were met by the owner who warmly welcomed us and our bouncing dogs after a long drive to the lakes . When entering the cottage it was warm , spotlessly clean with plenty of space for all and furniture of a high standard which ensured comfort and rest.
On morning two like all city girls I got lost and found myself on the wrong path with dairy cows on the move. I was found by the farm owner who gave me a lift right back to the cottage to ensure myself and my dogs were not stampeded by the cows. Within my lift I was assured that it happened to many people and I was not made to feel stupid at all.
During our stay we cooked many meals within the kitchen after walking all day . The fridge and freezer was large which ensured we could stock up . The kitchen was well equipped with pots and pans of all sizes , plates bowls and all the cooking utensils you could possibly need or want (we even found a vegetable steamer and a meat grill ) . The kitchen had a fully working wood burner which was lovely to have burning whilst eating a meal around the kitchen table of an evening after a long day walking .
The bedrooms were light and airy and the beds were so comfortable , along with the peace and quite of the countryside and the lovely beds I have not slept so well in years .
The bathroom had a outstanding power shower and with four of us there , there was always hot water and the bath was deep to relax aching feet after a long day.
There has been many comments on here about dogs and rules . I feel that the rules were very fair and are the same you apply in your own home , dogs are not allowed to sit on the furniture or be in bedrooms . The dogs are allowed in any other part of the cottage . There is a great court yard with fencing all around which allowed all of our dogs to wonder freely in and out. The farmers working on the farm were very friendly towards the dogs always stopping to say hello and give them a quick pat.
I would say if you were looking to stay in the Lake District within a relaxing and friendly environment that's dog friendly than this is a place for you . We will be returning to this cottage and cannot wait to go back !!! Thank you to the farm owners for such an enjoyable stay .”
- “fantastic,comfy cottage”
- “Traveled with friends six of us in total,weather was against us but did not spoil the hols.the cottage was warm well equipped cosy and big.fly fishing was enjoyable yes there was fish in the lakes ,the owners were friendly and helpful,third bedroom was small but comfy ,all in all very nice place to stay,would I return you bet.thanks for a good holiday i”
- “Cosy November retreat!”
- “Great cottage - kept very warm with the woodburner & oil central heating when required. Boiler room great for drying wet jackets & boots. Well equiped large living kitchan perfectly able to cater for family meals. The lounge area & beds were good quality and very comfy. All in all had a very nice week in a beautiful part of the country!”
- “Ideal holiday home”
- “Our family really enjoyed our holiday in this beautiful quiet location. The house is very well equiped, very comfortable. The Shield family very welcoming, local eating houses very good but suggest booking for wheatsheaf as it is very popular and dogs are welcome. We found lots to do and Keswick is not far to go. The only negative was that the third bedroom is small and would be better as a single room. We would certainly return and recommend it to others.”
- “A great retreat in one of the Lake District's quieter areas”
- “Four men of a certain age who in Last of the Summer Wine style, walk, eat, drink and talk about anything and everything. All good cooks and whisky/wine lovers. All we need each year is good walking, any weather and a decent cottage to do our thing. We got this at Scales Cottage, with a good sized kitchen/diner for our culinary efforts, comfortable bedrooms and a fine lounge. All very clean and set in lovely location.”
- “Warm, friendly & secluded”
- “The description advertised is exactly what you get. Considering that we rented in winter, the cottage was very well heated/insulated. The owners supplied logs for the wood burner.
The excellent sound insulation is worthy of note too.
With 4 adults and 3 dogs (Staffy & 2 Boxers) we had plenty of space. The slate floors and boot room made the post walk clear up easy too. Animal lovers need to be aware that there are cattle, sheep and chickens near-by.
One of us has walking disabilities but the cottage layout worked well. Roughly 8 steps to get to the front door (cleary shown in photos) and then did not need to move from the ground floor. Though not suitable for wheelchairs due to the steps).
One plus for us, but probably a downside for it buffs, was the poor mobile reception inside the house.
Two of our party took advantage of the trout fishing on a wet and windy day. thoroughly enjoying the experience.
The best recommendation is that we looked to book again, next year. Sadly the date wanted had already been booked.”
- “Beautiful peaceful cottage”
- “Enjoyed our stay in well-appointed cosy cottage. Great views from lounge. Peaceful location.”
- “Lovely property”
- “The property is in a very quiet location on a working farm. The owners live nearby and were very welcoming. The property is very well equiped and the 2 main bedrooms were large and comfortable which suited our party of 4 adults and 1 baby perfectly. Many of the Lake District attractions were within a 30 minute drive and the pub in the village served excellent food.”
View All (8)
- “This beautiful cottage has been lovingly restored to create a warm and welcoming retreat. It is at the entrance the farm and the views from the cosy top floor living room are spectacular. Our three dogs really enjoyed the run of the safe and fully enclosed garden and we were able to enjoy some wonderful trout fishing at the farms own fishing lake. The owners were so friendly and made us very welcome indeed , so much so that we can't wait for our next visit to this wonderful property.”