Show more (11)
- “Characterful cottage in great location”
- “A kitchen and living room upstairs and bedrooms downstairs for good value at under £50 each if there's 4 of you.
Great location down a fairly quiet street in Grasmere.
No towels/toilet roll so you have to provide your own but there is a washerdrier/oven/hoover/ironing board/iron/radio with an aux lead(poor reception area).
The ceiling in the small room with a double bed does drip water when it rains which could do with getting fixed as the downstairs house is very slightly damp.
Parking permit included for the local council car parks for a single car.
Brilliant mini-break. Would stop there again.”
- “A comfortable and convenient holiday rental”
- “We loved this property right in the centre of Grasmere. We loved that it was upside down ie bedrooms on the ground floor and kitchen/diner and living room upstairs to enjoy the views and bay window. It was very clean and comfortable with beautiful bed linens and a homely feel throughout. The fact that there is no outside seating area matters little with a pub garden next door and lovely walks originating in the village itself. Might be more of an issue with children. Only one car parking permit so we also had to pay £30 for a second car for the week. We also had a third car but managed to alternate and also find places without double yellow lines further out of centre. We were there to attend a wedding at the Daffodil Hotel so it was a perfect place for us as we could walk there and back. We had a few minor issues in the property but they wouldn't prevent us booking again. We found the fridge too cold (our vegetables froze!) the oven temperature not at all clear, the downstairs loo flush inadequate and no working lock on the bathroom door.”
- “Beautiful cottage in an excellent location”
- “We had a wonderful time staying in Rowan Cottage. The cottage itself is warm and cosy with a lovely lounge and comfortable bedrooms. The location is excellent and we were able to walk straight out of the door into the hills or to fantastic pubs and cafes.”
- “A really nice cottage.”
- “Five of us stayed here and there was plenty of room for all of us. We found the cottage to have everything we needed and was very cosy and comfortable. There was a washer/dryer which we found useful and central heating as well as all you need in the kitchen. There were even board games provided. You do need to take your own towels and toilet roll.
It was convenient for everything in Grasmere and many walks started nearby. It was very close to the car park for which we were given one permit and we didn't find it too expensive to park the second car.
A couple of small things to mention are that the bathroom blind didn't work and as it is on the ground floor at the front of the house that was a bit tricky. Also one of the walls in the living room was very damp.
There was some noise until the restaurant next door had closed but after that it was fine.
We all enjoyed our stay there and would stay there again if in Grasmere.”
- “Really lovely cottage.”
- “Five of us stayed at this cottage for a short break so that three members of our party could climb Helvellyn. We left it rather late to book so we're very pleased to see that it was such a nice cottage.
It has everything you could need including a washer/dryer and the kitchen is very well equipped. It also has central heating. We found it very cosy.
It is very handy for everything in Grasmere and close to the car park. We had two cars and you get one parking permit but it wasn't too expensive to park the other car.
The only fault I could find was that the bathroom blind doesn't work and that is a little awkward as the cottage is right on the road.
Also the back wall of the living room is very damp.
The fact that is on the road makes it quite noisy at night. The staff from the next door restaurant park right under the bedroom windows and make a lot of noise when they go home at night and often leave the door open with music playing. They also have outside furniture right outside one of the bedroom windows and one night made a lot of noise dragging it inside. After that though it is perfectly quiet, just don't go to bed too early.
A really nice cottage and I would stay there again if in Grasmere.”
- “Very comfortable, well-stocked cottage in the centre of Grasmere”
- “The cottage is well situated, very comfortable and had plenty of room. The kitchen was well stocked which made cooking and eating there a delight. I would definitely return.”
- “Great location and facilities”
- “Travelled with son and his family for half term break.
Cottage is ideally placed for all amenities and walks. Included parking permit allows you to park on the Pay & Display carpark just 100 metres away.
Bedrooms are well presented although rear double is a little cosy.
Added extras included Coffee percolator, Good music system and good quality cook and dishware. Also Wifi is available and is reasonably fast.
Upside down format suited us with comfortable lounge, kitchen diner and toilet upstairs and bedrooms and 2 bathrooms down stairs.
Didn't find noise too bad downstairs, yes you do get a few vehicles and walkers from about 8am onwards but it was acceptable.
Cottage was being redecorated the week after we left so should be even better!
We would stay here again.”
- “Great location in the centre of Grasmere village”
- “Spacious and well fitted our, quality accommodation, ideal lake district cottage.
We booked it for two adults, two teenagers and their Grandmother and it was perfect. Great to be restful after a good long walk, the walk to the tarn is a good start for those our of practice fell walkers too!
The local co-op provides a good range of essentials and enough for meals when you,re not eating out. There are a number of good places to eat our, the small and homely bistro being just next door.
We managed to see Wordsworth,s house, took a few long (and dry) walks , went to ambleside and Kendal and took a boat ride on Windermere.
All in all a great place, great accommodation and a good holiday”
- “Excellent upgrade”
- “We were upgraded to this cottage after the one we had booked in Bowness developed a leak. We certainly got lucky! Rowan Cottage is in a beautiful location and is furnished to a very high standard. I'm not sure I would want to pay the full price as that is very expensive in high season. The one thing the cottage is missing is an outside seating area, that would have made it absolutely perfect.”
- “comfortable, warm, clean, tasteful and fabulous location.”
- “Comfortable, warm and clean accommodation in a fabulous part of the lakes. we stayed in low season so didn't experience any noise from local pubs, restaurants or public. It was snowing and the cottage was lovely and warm. the double room with the en-suite is the smallest room and there's no loo in the en-esuite. the other rooms were lovely. lounge was comfy, cosey and tasteful..Great walks from the door, good selection of eating places and lovely gift shops. We will return.Not many places accommodate six adults at these prices”
- “nice comfy house, convenient location.”
- “This was a quaint cottage, very comforatble, in a lovely (quiet)village location,central and convenient for exploring the area.Only a small co-op tho for groceries, but lots of eating places around.It wasn't spotlessly clean - we left it cleaner than we found it. Quite expensive - I expected better for the money.
The wi-fi wasn't at all reliable and no hub in the house that we could find (in order to sit next to it...)Only one parking permit was supplied,so some concern over a second car, but for £30 a week you can park in a coucil carpark, or in the school playground outside termtime.A nice cottage tho, just a few things would have made it so much better.”
View All (4)
- “All 4 pillows were wet in the back bedroom! Not just a bit damp but wet. Seemed that they hadn’t been dried after washing as the room was dry with no leaks?
Also the restaurant next door was noisy until midnight every night. The twin bedroom is at ground level next to restaurants front door and with only single glazed windows every word can be heard. This was only briefly glazed over in the description. Secondary double glazing would improve this. Having said this the cottage was warm, well equipped and in a great location.”